Saturday, June 16, 2007

The Slow, Rolling Start

Strong trees grow slowly. I've learned (but don't always practice) that a warm-up steadily increasing in intensity will get me into my best game faster than if I just jump right in.

So I begin.

Starting is so important. Kind 'uv like just showing up. My dad always said, "Plan your work, and work your plan." It's often easy (and safe) for us left brainers to plan. But plans are useless without action.

Perfect plans (another means of safety for the a/r among us) are things of beauty. Heaven is indeed in the details. But the perfect can often get in the way of good.

Gen. George S. Patton, Jr. observed that "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan executed next week." Now I'm not recommending violent plans for nonprofits. Patton's job was the business of war making. Violence was expected.

But the business of nonprofits is to change the world. If you're not executing a good plan, you're wasting time and money. More significantly, those you're trying to help are still waiting for your help.

If you're trying to change the world, you need a good plan. If your nonprofit is mostly just herding cats, you'd better make some time to answer the big question:

What's next?

No comments: